We go past the old building every time we drive anywhere but Grammy's. Each trip, Sarah says, "There's my kindergarten school, and Grammy's high school." It's one of her mantras, along with identifying the homes on our hill ("One family lives there; two families live there; two families live there; and we live here.") and naming the towns we pass through.
A couple of weeks ago, we finally got to go inside the school for kindergarten registration. Sarah was nervous, but she sat at the table when asked and colored a name tag for herself. Every few minutes, she'd give us a funny little smirk that said, "This is pretty fun, but I'm not ready to admit it."
When it was time to move to the carpet for a song and story, she insisted I come along, while Don went to another room with the parents. She sat on my lap at first but eventually moved to the carpet and participated with the group. Afterward, she got out some blocks and built a tower while Don and I talked with the teacher.
On the way home, she was dubious about kindergarten. I assured her she will get used to it and enjoy it, just like 4K. I'm not looking forward to the first day, however. I'm sure the adjustment will be tough once again, and I'll have to steel myself to walk away from my scared little girl as instinct instructs me otherwise. She will probably be fine within five minutes, just as she was last September. I, on the other hand, will spend the day (the whole day this time!) worrying about her.
No comments:
Post a Comment