Sunday, May 17, 2020

COVID Fatigue Syndrome (Pandemic Part V)

As you can likely tell from the sparse bullets in this post, I'm growing tired of the pandemic. Things still change day to day, but my drive to record every development is dwindling. Fatigue has set in. When I started, I thought I'd be doing this for a month or so, two tops. It's now been 10 weeks that we've been at home, and any trip into society feels like a Special Ops mission. It's gotten old.

At the same time, things I never even heard of before have begun to seem normal. Zoom meetings, social distancing, curbside pickup.... Washing my hands for 20 seconds is a no-brainer, and COVID-shaming is a thing.

Sun., May 3
  • Fox News aired a virtual town hall with Trump at the Lincoln Memorial. Talk about sacrilege....
  • My second puzzle is coming along.
Mon., May 4
  • Don's mom was transferred from the hospital to the nursing home where his dad is. They're sharing a room!
  • The Senate returned to DC, even though there aren't enough tests for everyone.
  • Ships full of oil from Saudi Arabia were arriving in Houston, and no one wanted them to dock.
  • A key model was now saying 134,000 Americans will die by August.
  • The number of daily COVID deaths in Massachusetts fell below 100 for the first time in weeks; there were 64,300 cases and 4,090 deaths total.
Tues., May 5
  • Deaths in the U.S. topped 70,000, then 71,000, in the same day.
  • Trump talked about disbanding the coronavirus task force, while deaths were still rising. 
  • I had four work Zoom meetings.
  • Sarah got a loaner MacBook Air from school so she can use the Apple programs she's used to.
  • There were 70,000 cases in Massachusetts.
Wed., May 6
  • Since it was Teacher Appreciation Week at our school, I organized a parade of Sarah's classmates past her teacher's house. She was thrilled!

Thurs., May 7
  • Gov. Baker allowed golf courses to reopen. 
  • We celebrated Don's birthday at the cabin.
Fri., May 8
  • Gun shops in Massachusetts can reopen this weekend, after a federal judge said Thursday it is unconstitutional for the state to close them because of the pandemic.
  • Boston canceled all large events for the summer, including the Boston Pops 4th of July concert.
  • Vice President Pence's press secretary and an aide to Trump tested positive for the virus.
  • Don had a virtual tour of an assisted living facility for his parents via Zoom; Sarah did her schoolwork; and I teleworked. A new family of Canada geese was a bright spot on my morning walk.


Mon., May 11
  • Back at home, Don had his annual physical on Zoom, while Sarah attended class on Zoom, and I teleworked.
  • Massachusetts passed 5,000 deaths; daily new cases dropped below 1,000 for first time since Apr. 5. Four percent of cases in Massachusetts require hospitalization. 
  • Gov. Baker announced a four-phase reopening plan; details to follow.
  • Trump continues to flaunt not wearing a mask.
Tues. May 12
  • 1.3 million cases in the U.S., with more than 80,000 deaths.
Wed., May 13
  • Sarah had the first in a series of Zoom calls with sixth-graders from the other schools that will be attending middle school with her in the fall. 
Thurs., May 14
  • The conservative State Supreme Court in Wisconsin struck down the stay-at-home order issued by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers because it wasn't approved by the legislature. People flooded bars and restaurants.
  • Sarah's school announced they would be performing the musical they'd rehearsed, "The Grunch," virtually. The actors will film their parts at home, and one of the teachers will compile the files into one online performance.
Fri., May 15
  • Don and I went to Walmart to get our second shingles vaccines. That night, I had a fever of 101.5, the chills, muscle and stomach pain, and vomiting. Fortunately, the CDC website listed all of those as side effects of the shot, with 1 in 6 people experiencing them, or I would have been worried about COVID.
  • Trump has started a conspiracy theory called Obamagate but fails to give details.
Sat., May 16
  • I visited my friend Sara, and we enjoyed coffee and homemade cheese biscuits on her deck, six feet apart. I hadn't seen her two-and-a-half months, and it was wonderful to be together.
  • Sarah's classmate Ruby had a "drive-by" birthday party, with people stopping by one at a time and chatting at a distance.
  • Republican National Committee says it will hold its national convention in Charlotte, NC, in August, with 50,000 people expected. The Democratic National Committee is weighing its options for its convention.
Sun. May 17
  • Scientists are pursuing a COVID vaccine that contains antibodies from llamas.
Our current stay-at-home order ends tomorrow, and the governor should be announcing a phased reopening plan, but I suspect not much will change for a few weeks, anyway. We've had 80,000 cases in Massachusetts, with 5,700 deaths. Testing is still an issue, although Trump likes to say anyone who wants to be tested can be. Some colleges have already announced that next fall will be virtual classes only, no one on campus, and we have no idea what school for Sarah will look like in September. The uncertainty is disconcerting, but I remain grateful that my family has not been touched directly by the virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment