Sunday, June 14, 2020

So When Does the Relaxing Start?

We drove to the cabin last weekend with another load of stuff, including boards that Don cut and painted to create a platform and steps for entering the boat, brackets he created to keep the dock from coming apart in rough weather, a Ninja line for Sarah, flowers, and bikes. 

We arrived at dinnertime on Thursday and went straight to work after we ate. Don worked on the boat lift, while Sarah and I tried, unsuccessfully, to hang the Ninja line. Abby slipped right into lake mode: "Throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball."



Friday morning, Don and Sarah spent two hours finishing the Ninja project while I tried out a new "office" behind the North Hero library. Although I didn't care for my coworkers (ants and spiders), the picnic table made a passable desk, and I even joined a virtual meeting. 




In the afternoon, I planted flowers, while Don strung electricity to the tool shed and Sarah practiced on the Ninja line. It was much harder than she expected, and she was discouraged at first, but she improved rapidly and could make it more than half-way across by the time we left Sunday.



We all went fishing in the evening, except for Abby, who stayed in her kennel in the cabin. I think she's  happier there than in the boat, and I enjoy myself much more.




Saturday morning, I weeded the day lilies along the road. I thought it would be a quick job, but it wound up taking two or three hours. In the end, I had a wheelbarrow overflowing with grass.



Our neighbor Dave has been welcoming and helpful. He stopped by with his trailer and asked if we'd like him to take some of our leaf pile to the transfer station. When he returned, he told us they also accepted old wood -- like the rotting rounds that were stacked between four trees on our property. Don had been wondering how to get rid of them, so this was an offer from on high. 

We loaded the trailer, and Don and Dave took a load, then Sarah and Don loaded it again, and Don took it with our truck. We managed to clean up the whole area, which was a wonderful surprise.



Saturday afternoon, the weather turned blustery. Just before dinner, Dave's family went out to their float in their small row boat and got pushed off-course by the wind on the return trip. Don ran and helped pull them to shore on the other side of our property. The sky was dramatic.



Sunday morning, before we headed for home, I moved about a dozen concrete blocks from the back of the house to the side yard, which improved the view from the driveway immensely. Sarah and I rode our bikes to the state park at the north end of the island, about five miles away. Our neighborhood is great for biking, with wide, flat roads and little traffic.

I realize the post title is a bit whiny. I meant it tongue-in-cheek and am, by no means, complaining. We can't believe how fortunate we are to have this place, especially this year. We love fixing it up to our liking as much as we like relaxing. And I think most of the work -- except for mowing the lawn, which Dave has been helping with -- is done for the summer. Relaxing times -- and sunsets that create beauty in the west, as well as the east, await.

No comments:

Post a Comment