Don and I have never been fans of Halloween, but we've done our best to make the holiday special for Sarah...helping her with a costume and makeup and taking her to the rag shag parade and festivities in town, where we do our best to keep up with her. Then negotiating over how much candy she gets to eat.
This year, she turned 13, and all of that disappeared at once! She and her friends came up with the idea to dress as characters from The Wizard of Oz, and she borrowed a witch costume from one of them. Another invited the girls over for a backyard party, and her parents drove them to town for the parade and trick-or-treating. They returned for a campfire and s'mores.
We didn't even help her get ready or drop her off. We were all at my mom's putting firewood on the porch, when we realized we wouldn't be home in time for her party. Mom dropped Sarah off at home, while Don, George, and I finished the wood. She got dressed, did her makeup, and walked up the street to the party.
I picked her up at the end, and she came home with a bag full of candy. I didn't even broach the topic of paring down the quantity. She seems to get candy everywhere she goes these days, including gymnastics practice, and I've decided that's one battle I will never win and choose to no longer fight.
Just like that, Don and I seem to be out of the Halloween business...except for carving the Jack o' lantern. My little ladybug has become her own witch.





No comments:
Post a Comment