Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Covid Catches Up to Me, or Does It?

After nearly four years of evasive maneuvers, it seems COVID finally caught me. But I'm skeptical.

I had a stuffy nose and slight sore throat beginning at the end of November, while we were at NCTC. I took a COVID test on Dec. 7, and it was negative. Since Sarah had similar symptoms, I wasn't concerned. 

Then, on the evening of the 12th, following my work holiday celebration, I had a strange aching beneath my ears. I tested again, and it was positive -- my first time! Don and Sarah both tested negative. The next morning, I tested twice more, and both were negative, so I assumed the first test was a mistake. I called my doctor's office anyway, and the nurse insisted that any positive result was reliable and prescribed Paxlovid. Darn.

I continued to work from home and exercise as usual. I had a slight sore throat and an inkling of something going on in my chest, but nothing more serious. Both symptoms were gone in a few days. I wore a mask around Don and Sarah the first five days, and they never had symptoms. Fortunately, my 10-day period of limiting social interactions ended the day before our family gathering at Mom's house.

Unfortunately, I had to skip the cookie swap I'd been invited to on the 17th (my first!). Because I needed to bring six dozen cookies, I'd been baking batches of the oatmeal-cranberry-white chocolate chip ones that Don loves since before Thanksgiving. My loss was his gain!

I'm still not convinced I had it, though it's been surging lately, and it seems everyone else has had it. Three negative tests and neither Don nor Sarah got it? Seems unlikely. If I did, the six vaccinations I had, plus the Paxlovid, sure did a bang-up job fighting it off. Others seem to have had a much tougher time with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment