Uncle Bill died in February, but we waited until June 8 to memorialize him. I planned the service carefully, with input from Jane. The funeral home recommended a wonderful lay-pastor, Jack, to lead the service. I met with him soon after Uncle Bill passed and shared writings from both Jane and me to give him a sense of what a special person he would be helping us honor.
The graveside service would be small, with my mom, brother, Jane, my cousins and spouses, and special friend Sandy. Though Uncle Bing (Bill's twin) wouldn't be making the trip from Mexico, cousin Sarah was coming from Seattle, and Sandy from Florida. We invited everyone to our house to socialize following the service.
In the weeks before, I planted annuals and perennials in front of the monument at the family plot. I hoped they would do better than the geraniums Mom and I usually plant.
As the service approached, COVID cases started to rise, which concerned Jane, rightly so. When I came down with COVID on May 27, at first I panicked, thinking of the service. Then I checked the CDC guidelines, and as long as I was symptom-free by then, I could be among others safely. With nearly two weeks to go, I figured I'd be fine. I took Paxlovid and was feeling close to normal in a few days. Whew! I decided not to tell Jane, so as not to worry her needlessly.
A week later, two days before the service, I was stuffy and sneezy. When I awoke the next day with a fever, I took a COVID test, and it was positive. It was a Paxlovid rebound case. Damn! Fortunately, the service was outside, and we could move the gathering at our house outside. I hoped everyone would be comfortable as long as I wore a mask.
I sent Jane an email, and she called me right away. As I'd expected, she didn't feel safe coming, especially since a friend was going to drive her. Ironically, she and Uncle Bill chose not to attend my Aunt Janet's graveside service -- same cemetery, same plot -- three years ago due to COVID.
I couldn't believe this was happening. All the time and effort to plan the perfect service for Uncle Bill, and I get COVID 12 days beforehand, recover in time, then get it again two days before, causing his life partner to miss the service and time with family. COVID is so relentless and cruel.
The service was at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday and lasted about 20 minutes. Jack did a wonderful job of capturing Uncle Bill's essence, without ever having met him. I still had a low fever but otherwise felt fine. Mom, George, Brian, Don, Sarah, Sandy, and cousins Mary Hunter (and son William), Janet (and husband Ned), Sarah, and Elizabeth (husband John and son Jack), and I bid Uncle Bill farewell.
I read a short poem that Jane wrote, as well as my own:
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment