Sarah's had her driver's license for five weeks now, and Don and I agree it's changed her in ways we didn't expect. Far from exploding, her social calendar seems to have shrunk. We've gone from negotiating transportation to and from campfires and sleepovers to having her hang around the house. She's spent entire weekends at home! We've had family movie nights and gone out to eat together.
I asked her about it at dinner last Friday. She said, "Well, the group chat is having a fire tonight, and I could drive all the way to Southampton for a few hours, and maybe spend the night at Sonika's ... or I could stay home and relax and get a good night's sleep." WHAT?
Turns out she prefers to be driven over driving. She likes to ride in the passenger seat, carefree, listening to music and checking her phone. Ah, now that makes sense ... so do I. But I'm surprised driving herself doesn't trump staying home.
And that's not all. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but she's matured in other ways. She's become focused on a healthy diet, making fruit-and-yogurt bowls and salads with chick peas for lunch. She gave up carbs for Lent. And she's going to bed earlier. Her sense of humor has even grown!
Who knew it was a package deal?
No comments:
Post a Comment