The minister agreed to bring all four kittens to the church last week so I could meet them. Because I've always had good luck with a male and female living together, and Reggie was such a lover, I was hoping the "grays" were males. A quick stop at the vet on the way to our meeting brought the happy news that they both were.
It turns out, they looked nothing like I'd envisioned. Their colors were more like cream with brown stripes, and their eyes were rather slate-blue, but they were striking! I chose "Sargeant," who had two stripes on each side of his face (his brother, "Private," had only one).
The kittens were born in the minister's garage to a somewhat-stray mom who died soon after, leaving him and his wife to care for them (mama knew where to give birth). I was concerned about the kitten carrying disease into the house, so I arranged to bring him to the vet the next day for some tests. I told Sarah nothing, in case things didn't work out.
Twenty-four hours later, I'd spent more than $200 on a cat that wasn't even mine yet (there's no such thing as a free kitten). I learned from the receptionist at the clinic that his markings are those of a lynx-p*int S*amese, which results from a cross between a tabby and a S*amese. No wonder he's so beautiful.
Fortunately, his test results were good, and he came home on Friday. I quarantined him in the office, since he had fleas, and to give him some space from Sophie. I'd told Sarah I'd have a surprise for her when she got home from school. Her first question when she saw him was, "Is he my very own pet?" She was delighted to learn that he was.
He seemed to take to her right away and climbed into her lap. Without much hesitation, she named him Nick. I have no idea how she came up with it, but, given the names of her stuffed animals, he's lucky he's not called "Cat."
She has taken her ownership responsibilities seriously and hasn't been deterred by a few scratches. I've made sure that she's the only one who feeds him, hoping he bonds with her.
Yesterday, after church, I decided it was time to leave the door open and let him explore the house and meet Sophie. He's stuck to the upstairs for the most part, although I think I heard him tearing up the stairs during Sarah's bath last night, so he may have gotten a glimpse of Cadi the Lab. Sophie has given him a cool reception, hissing and walking away, but she can't help come check him out from time to time.
At bedtime last night, he curled up against Sarah's tummy and purred while she went to sleep. What a sweet picture that was. I hope he'll make a habit of it.
He is very pretty! Nice markings. I know Sarah will enjoy him for years to come. Caroline got her cat Rudy when she was turning 5. I think it is a great age to give them a kitten. i would love to give Julianna one (we volunteer at our shelter all the time) but I am afraid Rudy would be upset (he is almost 9 now) Take care! miss you all. Delaine
ReplyDelete