Monday, May 26, 2014

Marching on Memorial Day

Sarah was in her first parade today and was very excited about it.  Our Daisy Girl Scout troop did a fine job marching in our small town's parade and even sat quietly through the somber ceremony that followed at the Veteran's Memorial.  Don sang "Down by the Riverside" and "America the Beautiful" with the church choir, so we were all involved in the day's events.

Sarah and I had a long conversation about the meaning of Memorial Day at breakfast this morning.  It was not fun.  At one point, she said, "Mom, your voice sounds as though you're sick or something."  I was obviously finding it difficult to hide my discomfort at explaining war to her.

After the parade, Sarah and I helped my mom plant flowers on the graves of both sides of my family.  This sparked lots more questions, of course.  I'm glad it's Don's turn to put her to bed tonight, since she'll probably want to revisit the events of the day and work out more details.







No comments:

Post a Comment