After six years of passing it on the way to Henry's Cottages, I finally went to the Saturday farmer's market in Grand Isle. Sarah came along, and we got some fresh bread and a scone. They had good precautions for COVID: masks required, one-way traffic, and hand sanitizer. I hope to return a few more times this summer.
We don't have internet service at the cabin, and the closest wifi hotspot is sketchy. Although I can make my phone a mobile hotspot, I'm a tyrant about data usage, which causes Sarah (and, therefore, me) much angst.
Fortunately, we've discovered free wifi at a business about five miles from the cabin. After we scoped it out and found a secluded picnic table nearby, Sarah rode her bike there to enjoy some time chatting with friends. I biked up and rode back with her. Screen-time with built-in exercise is a win in my book.
We came upon this peregrine falcon perched on Cloak Island while in the boat one evening.
Don completed a project on his honey-do list: making a path from the rock wall to the dock so I don't get sand in my sandals. :)
Abby is finally comfortable walking on the dock and appears to be ready to jump off and follow Sarah and Don in the boat!
When her tennis ball bounced into the water, Abby watched intently as Sarah retrieved it.
Sadly, Abby is still terrified of gunshots and fireworks. I recently got a prescription for lorazepam from the vet. After a little trial and error, I figured out the right timing and procedure to calm her -- just in time for an absolute blowout 4th of July celebration on the lake.
The nights of the 3rd and 4th, our neighborhood sounded like a battlefield. Saturday night, we could see at least seven displays around the shore. Don and Sarah went out in the boat to watch, while I stayed at the cabin with Abby. A Kong with lorazepam-laced peanut butter served in her travel kennel settled her for the night.
We bought the cabin furnished, and the two storage sheds were packed with things we didn't need. We held a tag sale on the 4th and managed to liquidate some of the larger items, including a three-person Seadoo towable, water skis, and an ancient windsurfer.
One of our customers was wowed by Sarah's Ninja line. She asked Sarah to show her how to do it, and Sarah completed the full course for the first time. Give that girl an audience, and she shines.
The driveway, walkway around the cabin, and patio are surfaced with white stone. During one weekend there, I weeded the walkway and patio and wound up with a strained knee.
When we arrived for the week, I took one look at the driveway and said, "I am NOT weeding the driveway." Alas, my obsessive-compulsive tendencies won out, and I worked on it an hour or two each day, giving my knee careful attention. The neighbors now think I'm certifiable, but I'm happy to have it done.
Of course, there's always fishing and beautiful skies at the cabin. Don and Sarah caught scores of smallmouth bass, while white perch were big, feisty, and abundant. Sarah landed five beautiful smallmouth -- two 16-inchers, two 17-inchers (pictured below), and a 19-incher (about 3 lbs. 5 oz). All these fish were larger than any smallmouth Don has ever caught!
Don hooked a huge northern pike -- estimated at 10 lbs. -- but was alone in the boat, and the monster jumped out of the net before he could haul it in.
We were blessed with sunsets, rainbows, a near-full moon, and windswept clouds.











No comments:
Post a Comment