Sunday, July 12, 2020

A Rocker for the Ages

My ritual for the last six years, when we stop at rest areas on our drive to northern Vermont, has been sitting in a display-model Vermont Folk Rocker. They are the most comfortable chair I've experienced. 

The seat is fashioned from squares of hardwood strung on roping, which, as the website touts, feels like sitting on a quilted cushion. It conforms to your shape, so there are no pressure points. Pure heaven.

When we looked at the cabin last year, I made a tongue-in-cheek deal with Don that we could buy it as long as I could get one of the rockers. For my birthday this year, he surprised me with a trip to the factory, about an hour from the A-frame, to pick out a chair.

We were ushered into the tiny showroom by the chair's creator, Jim Geier. He designed his first folk rocker in the 70s and has made a few design modifications over the years. 

Given the choice of red oak, cherry, black walnut, or birdseye maple from Maine, I went with the maple. It has fascinating designs that look like contour lines on a topographic map and spots that remind me of water depths on a nautical chart. It's lovely.






We haven't decided whether it should stay at the cabin or come home to Massachusetts. Perhaps it will be a snowbird and split the year.

Our hope is that it will become a family heirloom, passed to Sarah and future generations. In the meantime, I intend to rock away my aches and pains, both physical and spiritual. 

2 comments:

  1. You are one lucky lady, well deserving of this treasure, and Kudos to Don for recognizing that! K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often sat in them every time I went into the Williston rest area. Maybe I will get a chance this year. Lauri you are one lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete