Saturday, August 1, 2020

A Dozen Years!

Sarah turned 12 on July 25. As a lot of other kids have learned, birthday celebrations look different in the Time of COVID. She was thrilled to get an Adam Thielen jersey and a Vikings mask.




She had a Zoom call with her classmates in the morning, and we invited three girls from our neighborhood for an outdoor party in the afternoon. They played "Apples to Apples," ate snacks, and had a water balloon fight, but mostly they talked and laughed. 😊

The parents seemed to enjoy the chance to socialize as much as the kids. One mom stayed the whole time, and it was a joy to chat with a friend for a couple of hours. The others arrived at the end and stayed another hour, catching up with each other. We are hungry for connection.





We had Chinese take-out for dinner and watched Hamilton in the evening. I have been waiting years to see it, and it was every bit as amazing as I'd heard. We all loved it. What a brilliant piece of art.

The next day, we went to my mom's to celebrate her birthday (on the 23rd) -- and Sarah's some more -- with George and Chelsey. It was a beautiful afternoon to sit in the yard and catch up. We gave Mom an official weather-observer rain gauge so, when it "just pours!" she'll know exactly how much.



All in all, I think we did pretty well marking the occasion. The main disappointment was that we told her she could get her ears pierced when she turned 12 and, given the COVID situation, I wasn't keen on having her that close to a stranger. I had also forgotten, though, that she wouldn't be able to go swimming for six weeks. That convinced her that waiting until fall was the way to go. Don created a gift certificate for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment