Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Team Player


A couple of years ago, when Sarah was in her third year of private gymnastics lessons, I emailed the coach at her then-future middle school for information about the school's team and what types of skills she'd need to be a member. I learned that there's only a varsity team, but they allow 7th and 8th graders. I wasn't sure Sarah would be competitive enough to make the cut.

Since the start of 7th grade was delayed to mid-September due to the pandemic, I had to wait longer than expected to find out. Tryouts were the Friday of the first week of school -- before Sarah had even been to in-person classes. She was nervous about not knowing anyone or what to expect, and it took some persuading to get her to go. The coach assured me, however, that it would be low-key, and they'd just all practice skills together.

I had to register her ahead of time, and we both had to complete online concussion protocol training. It was quite a process, considering I wasn't sure of the outcome. I dropped her off at tryouts and hoped for the best.

She was happy and excited when I returned. I asked when she'd learn whether she was on the team, and she answered, "I don't know," so I sent the coach an email that evening. She responded the next morning, saying Sarah would "make the team, no problem." Woohoo!

It's been the best thing to happen for us in 2020, despite the daily drives back and forth for Don and me. With frequent practices, Sarah's skills have improved greatly, and she's made lots of new friends, both in 7th grade and the upper classes. The face-to-face (albeit behind masks) socializing has been a godsend. 

The team competed in four meets and was undefeated! Sarah competed on beam -- her least favorite event -- in one meet. She fell a couple of times, but it didn't get her down. She was just thrilled to be part of the team.

The season ended a couple of weeks ago. We're not sure when Sarah will be able to do gymnastics again, since the private gym she goes to has decided not to open until they can do so without masks and social distancing. What a bummer.

We're thankful for what we got, though, since many schools around here didn't have sports at all this fall. And I have to admit, I'm relieved the season ended when it did, as we go into the dark days of winter, literally and figuratively.


Addendum:
The fall sports awards ceremony was held virtually on Dec. 3, followed by a wrap-up session with just the team. Sarah loved "getting together" with everyone again.


No comments:

Post a Comment