Tuesday, May 18, 2021

A Solo Stay at the Cabin

Last spring, our first at the cabin, we were spoiled. The pandemic had closed school and work: Sarah had hour-long Zoom sessions on Mondays and Thursdays, and I was free to work from anywhere. We went to Vermont Thursday to Sunday, roughly every other week.

This year, with Sarah back in person full-time, I was initially concerned that any weekends at the cabin, for me at least, would be Friday to Sunday, with just one full day of relaxation. Then, I thought outside the box.

Until school's out in a month, Don and I can overlap at the cabin every other weekend, with him going up mid-week, me bringing Sarah up Friday afternoon, him bringing her home Sunday, and me returning Monday or Tuesday.

We tried this out last weekend, and, although I was a little anxious about being on my own, once they left, I adjusted quickly. And I wasn't totally on my own, of course...I kept Abby.

It was a gorgeous morning--warm and sunny. I puttered around the yard and read the news. The afternoon turned cloudy and damp, so I did some housekeeping. Skies cleared in the evening, so I went for a paddle and marveled at the number of snapping turtles floating just below the water's surface. 


The sunset was extraordinary. I think this is my favorite photo from the cabin so far.


On Monday, I worked in the morning, ate lunch, closed up, and drove home, arriving just in time for dinner. I could get used to life outside the box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment