Our town celebrated its sestercentennial -- that's 250 years -- in the middle of July, after a year's delay due to COVID. There were fireworks, a festival, a square dance, and a parade. We participated in all but the square dance (I was interested, but in the end, it didn't seem wise to be indoors with COVID surging again).
Sarah walked to town with friends Bridget and Lucia Friday evening, got pizza at Cumberland Farms, and proceeded to the fireworks site on River Road, where there was a DJ, carnival games, and food trucks. Don and I drove down at 8, parked in the Lashway firewood lot, and walked from there.
On Saturday afternoon, Sarah walked to the festival with neighbor Ruby, who was thrilled to go with a soon-to-be high-schooler. Don and I walked down later and spent most of our time sitting in front of the Grange Hall, enjoying free Ben & Jerry's ice cream and chatting with folks from church we hadn't seen in a while.
Sunday morning, Don scouted a shady spot between Depot Road and Kellogg Road for him, Mom, and George to watch the parade. I volunteered to staff a comfort station and was assigned the one at Depot Road, sponsored by Linda Manor. It was hot, and I spent most of the time shuttling water and granola bars to the participants.
Sarah, meanwhile, scored a starring role at the front of the parade. She had volunteered to pick up trash to earn community service hours for school, but it turned out they were looking for students to carry the banner, so she traded up. Leave it to Sarah!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment