Saturday, May 23, 2026

A Superior Senior Prom

The junior/senior prom was May 1. Sarah went with her childhood friend Mikey, who's spent the last few years living in the South doing competitive motocross while attending school online. He returned earlier this year; they reconnected; and they decided to attend prom as friends -- the first time Sarah has gone to a semiformal with a date. 

In the past, she's gotten ready at her friend's house, 30 minutes away, and sent me photos. Weeks ago, I told her I wanted her to come to our house for photos in the yard this time. After much debate on her part, and determination on mine, she made it happen.

She still got ready at her friend's house but then came home for photos. Mikey arrived a bit later. We got some great shots and had a lot of laughs over attaching the corsage to Mikey's lapel.





Then, they were off to Mikey's house. Mikey's mom invited me "for a glass of wine," which was sweet of her. Our families go way back: My dad taught Mikey's grandmother high school biology, and Mikey's dad went to school with my sister and brother-in-law. There were also family friends with connections to my childhood. It was old home week!

The prom was at a restaurant overlooking the Connecticut River Valley, and as far as I can tell, they spent most of the time outside taking pictures, including ones with Sarah's bestie Julia and one of the couples in her "friends group chat." Sarah and Mikey left early -- because, apparently, that's what seniors do these days -- to return to his house, where his parents hosted a campfire and after-party.


It was one of my favorite days as a mom -- I felt included in the excitement and proud of the poised young woman I've raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment