Thursday, June 26, 2014

Taking Care of Dad on Father's Day

Sarah has reached the age where she comes up with her own ideas for gifts.  A month or so ago, she told me, "Mom, I know what to get Dad for Father's Day -- a bike helmet."  "That's a great idea," I said, "but you know he doesn't think he needs one."  "But Mom," she replied, her voice cracking, "the police officers came to school today and said it's really important to wear a helmet so that you don't get hurt if you fall off your bike."  

She was preaching to the choir, of course.  I've worn a helmet for years, and I've trained her to wear hers. But Don has resisted my entreaties.  I have to admit, I was rather pleased to have my tenacious daughter joining the cause. 

The following weekend, while tag-saling with my mom, Sarah and I came across a bike helmet that appeared to be Don's size.  Since it's not very practical to buy a helmet for someone without him trying it on (or knowing if he'll wear it), I figured I'd spend a dollar for the helmet and see what his reaction would be. Sarah was relieved to have the situation under control.

On Father's Day, she anxiously awaited his response as he opened the helmet.  He gamely tried it on (which wasn't too enjoyable, since it had lost its padding somewhere along the line, leaving the sharp part of the hook-and-loop fasteners exposed), while she lectured him on its necessity.  He tried to argue his case but soon saw that it was futile.  I think a nice, new comfy one might be in his future.




The bird house she made him in school fostered far less debate.  It was undeniably cute.




No comments:

Post a Comment