I decided long ago that Sarah would be my backpacking partner. I haven't gone backpacking since I married Don nearly 12 years ago. Although we both love the outdoors, we're partial to different ways of setting up housekeeping there. He brought to the marriage a huge canvas tent, a C*leman stove, and a wooden camp box that weighed about 15 lbs. empty. I brought a backpack, a lightweight two-person tent, a tiny fold-up stove, and candle lanterns. You can see where our tastes diverge, can't you?
It seemed much more realistic for me to scale back my camping style than for him to ramp up his, so we've quite happily camped by car and boat the last dozen years. I've never lost my love for carrying everything I need on my back and heading into the woods, however. I set a goal to get Sarah out while she's young and cultivate her interest in backpacking. It's slightly self-serving, but I've pledged not to push her if she doesn't like it.
I started researching places for a first-time trip this past winter. As our summer plans started to fall into place, I penciled in a two-day trip the last week of July or the first week of August, between our drive to the Midwest and our vacation in Vermont. It seemed a bit tight timing-wise, but I was determined to get out this summer.
Earlier this month, three days before leaving for Lake Ch*mplain, Sarah and I headed to 3,155-foot Mt. C*rdigan, in central New Hampshire. It was billed as a family-friendly hike and good for first-timers. The plan was to drive up in the morning and hike from the App*lachian M*untain Club lodge at the base up to the summit and back, then camp at one of the primitive sites near the lodge. It wasn't technically backpacking, but I figured it was a good simulation, as long as Sarah hiked with her pack (which she happened to receive for her birthday).
Sarah was excited about the trip. We drove the three hours to the lodge and set out hiking a little after 11:00. We took the easiest route up the mountain, 5.2 miles roundtrip, with an elevation gain of 1,750 feet. I'd read an estimate of two hours to get to the top, so I hoped we could do it in three.
The trail started out wide and level but soon narrowed and became steep and rugged. It was much tougher than I'd expected, and I developed a sinking feeling that I'd chosen poorly for Sarah's first serious hike. Instead of igniting a fire in her soul for backpacking, I'd probably burn her out and she'd never want to go again.
She was a trooper, though, and we marched on. I had told her there was a fire tower on top, and she wanted to see it. I kept suggesting we turn back, but she'd have none of it.
At about the three-hour mark we were still below tree-line, and I became concerned that we wouldn't have time to reach the summit and make it back down at a reasonable hour to set up camp for dinner. I told her that at 2:30 we'd have to decide whether to continue or turn around. On we went.
Just as time was running out, we met some hikers returning. When I asked how much farther it was to the top, they said they'd left the summit about five minutes prior. So we proceeded -- scaling the open rock face that was so steep I wouldn't let Sarah stop to rest for fear of losing momentum and falling backward (not off the mountain, mind you, but onto the rough surface).
And we made it. And it was so worth it! A 360-degree view of the surrounding hills and forest, and N*wfound Lake below. Sarah was pretty pleased with herself, and I was amazed that a six-year-old could do the hike.
After relishing our accomplishment for a few minutes, it was time to head back down. About five minutes into the descent, she announced, "I'm too tired to hike anymore." "Well," I said, "I'm afraid we don't have a choice." I started making up silly songs, and she joined right in, forgetting her fatigue.
We made it down in just a couple of hours, got the rest of our gear out of the car (slackers that we were), and set up camp. I fired up the new P*cket R*cket stove that I bought just before the trip (words cannot express how much I love buying outdoor gear), and we had chicken noodle soup and savory pasta for dinner. Gourmet it wasn't, but nothing tastes better than camp food after a good hike.
After dinner, Sarah started hobbling around because her feet hurt. No blisters, thank goodness, but the soles were sore. It didn't seem to dampen her spirits, however. We crawled into bed around 8:30, and she was asleep in no time.
The next morning, we awoke to the sound of rather large objects hitting the ground. When one struck the tent, we decided to investigate. It was a red squirrel high on a limb above our tent raining down pine cones. Sarah got quite a kick out of that.
After breakfast, we packed up and headed home. It was a short and sweet adventure, but one I hope will have Sarah yearning for more. It was one of the best hikes I've ever done, and the only one where I held hands with my partner the entire time.
| Mt. Cardigan in the distance, with the AMC lodge in the foreground |
No comments:
Post a Comment