The first weekend in October, I took my sister Heather to the Western Mass Mom Prom at the Springfield Marriott. It's the women-only "party with a purpose" and raises money for Rays of Hope, an annual fundraising walk for breast cancer.
As a breast cancer survivor (and she is a survivor if ever there was one), Heather was chosen to enjoy dinner and dancing, a dress of her choice, hair and makeup, a professional portrait, raffle tickets, and a long-stemmed rose -- all free. She looked fantastic, and we both had a terrific time. It was such a joy to see her living it up. We spent the night at the hotel and returned home Sunday morning.
 |
| Heather showing off the pink jewels in her hair |
 |
| Brian and Kelley bought each of us a corsage. |
 |
| My friends Kathy, Crystal, and Margo... |
 |
| ...and Cara and Christine |
 |
My gorgeous friend Crystal, who chaired
the event and did a fabulous job |
 |
| The whole gang |
 |
Had to take a photo of the amazing dessert. Believe it or
not, it was too rich for me to finish. |
 |
| There was even a Neil Diamond impersonator. |
There was a male auction, in which women bid on dance partners (two dances, one fast, one slow). A woman at the table beside us was bidding on men and then "giving" them to survivors. Heather won a nice young man (whose mother was in attendance, I think). The men were escorted out right after the dances, leaving the women to carry on.
Heather also enjoyed having her picture taken with the various "stars" in attendance. I'm afraid I didn't recognize many of them, except Marilyn Monroe, of course. Talk about feeling old....
 |
| The "Monroe" Sisters |
It was a wonderful night -- one I'm sure we will both remember fondly. I'm looking forward to next year already.
A great week with many achievements to you!
ReplyDelete