Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Now, That's What I Call a Vacation!

Our third year at Henry's Sportsman's Cottages at the north end of Lake Champlain in mid-August was by far the best yet! The weather was beautiful, with few storm clouds, literally or figuratively speaking. We spent more time at the cabin, versus driving around, which was relaxing. It was a wonderful week.

Sarah has come a long way in the last year. She has matured a lot and is "learning to sail her ship." All the same, after the issues we had last year, I wasn't about to leave things to chance. (I'm a fan of the Arab proverb "Trust in God, but tie your camel.") We took along a behavior chart to promote positive actions (with rewards such as a milkshake on the drive home and, of course, Shopkins) and a "Dish o' Dimes" (my creation -- she starts with three dimes every morning and loses one for each infraction) to discourage the less-desirable ones. It was just enough structure to keep her on an even keel.

Sarah and Don went fishing every morning, no matter the weather. They caught a total of 49 smallmouth bass and lots of perch and sunfish. Don also caught a huge dogfish, which caused quite a stir in the boat. No walleye or northern pike this year.

The three of us went out again after dinner most nights. I dipped my line in the water once, with no luck. For some reason, I find holding a pole and constantly checking it for activity incompatible with watching birds, sunsets, and full moons, which I highly enjoy. This is endlessly disappointing and perplexing to my avid-angler husband and daughter, but that's the way it is.

I spent my mornings reading, doing crossword puzzles, walking, and paddling. It was heaven. I also drove to Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge one morning for a little hiking and geocaching, neither of which are favorite pastimes for Don and Sarah, although Sarah always seems to enjoy herself if I drag her along. I added six caches to my list, including one that we searched for last year with no luck (turns out it was missing then).

Of course, there was also swimming! Sarah practiced her doggie paddle from the end of the boat dock to the floating dock with her life jacket on. We also boated to Alburgh Dunes State Park, anchored, and swam around the boat. This year, we made the longer boat trip over to Maquam Bay to try out the "The Underwater Beach." It was beautiful -- almost tropical. By the end of the week, Sarah swam on her own for the first time!

Sarah had fun with the folks in the neighboring cabins, as usual. The same wonderful family was next door, and there was a four-year-old girl from New Jersey, also named Sarah, a couple of cabins down. She always came running when I called, though, unwilling to lose a dime. :)

It was a lovely trip all-around, and probably the most relaxing one we've had. On Thursday, Sarah said, "I'm glad you guys are my parents because you take me on fun vacations." Don and I basked in the glow of appreciation for a few hours, until the neighbors returned from an afternoon outing and she exclaimed, "Oh, good, they're back...now I won't be lonely." Guess we're good parents but second-rate playmates...better than the other way around!

Headed out!


Cabin Life


Our home away from home -- Cabin #6



The view of the water in front of our cabin





A meal of sunfish, courtesy of Don and Sarah

Our annual dinner with the Sweenys -- always a highlight!

Sunrise

Full moon rising


Fishing


Fair-weather anglers they are not.

First-rate first mate!






Sarah started holding her fish for photos this year!





A first for us on Lake Champlain -- a huge dogfish



Sarah becomes more serious about fishing each year.

 

Evening on the Water









Extracurriculars

Swimming at Alburgh Dunes State Park






Kayaking






Swimming at "The Underwater Beach"




Wildlife photographer in action

The Green Mountains of Vermont in the distance

Geocaching


Boardwalk at Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge
(with a geocache hidden at the end)

2 comments:

  1. Nice writing and photos, Lauri, Don, and Sarah. A nice summary and remembrance of your 2016 week at Henry's Cabin #6 that you will enjoy reading down the road. It was fun to be a small part of it. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete