Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Some Fairy Magic on a Fall Day

Sunday morning, I saw a Facebook post by a friend who had gone to the Fairy House Festival in Grafton, Vermont, the day before. It looked enchanting! Since Sarah is a big fan of fairies, I checked to see if it was a two-day event, and we were in luck. After church, I packed lunch, and we hit the road for the 75-mile trek to Grafton. It was a gorgeous fall day -- perfect for a drive and some fairy magic.

Once through the festival gate, we were greeted by the Fairy Queen, who brushed our hands with fairy dust so that we could see the fairy houses in the woods. As we walked toward the trailhead, Sarah turned me and said, sotto voce, "This is SO cool!"

We followed a mowed trail up through the field and into the woods. There, we found tiny houses made from natural materials tucked into nooks and crannies along a trail that followed a stone wall. The houses were created by individuals and organizations in the community and had various themes, including a maple sugarhouse, a lighthouse, and a schoolhouse.  They were precious little works of art.

At first, Sarah was worried about the fairy dust falling off of her hand. She soon got curious, though, and wanted to brush it off to find out if she could still see the houses. I said, "You really want to take that chance?" and she decided to leave it alone. By the end of the trail, however, all of her dust was gone, and she proclaimed, "I can still see them!" "Maybe it takes a while for the magic to wear off," I said, and she gave me a dubious look.

We finished the trail, made wishes for the fairies (while tying ribbons to a stick structure), and headed for the craft tent. We both made felted acorns -- something I've wanted to try for years. Sarah found it a bit frustrating, but her acorn turned out wonderfully -- with a perfect little heart in it.

After Sarah made some giant bubbles, she asked for ice cream. I wanted to tour the museum first, and she was concerned the ice cream would be gone before we finished. Challenging her scarcity mentality, I told her, "They won't run out!"

We spent about 10 minutes inside, then headed for the ice cream, where we watched the last cone being handed to the woman in front of us. When she saw Sarah, she graciously offered it to her, but I declined on Sarah's behalf (for which I was roundly chastised once we'd stepped away).

(Sarah reminded me later that a similar event occurred at the garlic festival we attended a year ago -- she wanted a cider donut; I made her wait; we watched the last one being handed to the person in front of us; and she ended up with an apple. Guess we'd better hit the food booths first from now on.)

We left the festival in search of ice cream and stopped at the little store in town. Fortunately, they had lots of ice cream treats to choose from, and Sarah selected a Nutty Buddy. Crisis averted, and serenity restored, we headed home from our mystical adventure.

On the drive back, Sarah asked, "Do you think those were real fairies, or women dressed up?" "I don't know, what do you think?" "I think they were women, because the Fairy Queen had on socks and shoes that didn't look like what a fairy would wear." Ahhh, my girl knows her fairy fashion.






















No comments:

Post a Comment