A couple of weeks ago, Sarah spent the night away from us for the first time -- at a camp sleepover with her Girl Scout troop. She's gone a couple of times before and pre-arranged for me to pick her up at bedtime. This time, however, she wanted to try staying all night.
In typical Sarah fashion, once she decided to do it, she just did. She packed her worry doll, her stuffed bunny Nuzzle, and Nuzzle's worry dolls, and I dropped her off Saturday afternoon. Don and I went to dinner at our local Chinese restaurant and spent the evening watching The Finest Hours.
Bedtime came without a call from the scout leader (although I had no idea when bedtime would be for a group of keyed-up girls). I managed to get to sleep and, although I awoke a couple of times in the night, didn't lose too much shut-eye. The next morning, I picked her up at 10:00, and, as usual, she was reluctant to leave.
I admit to being slightly disappointed that I didn't get a call to rescue my baby. Then again, I'm proud to have brought her to a place where she feels safe away from me. And I can't deny enjoying a relaxing evening with Don -- it felt like old times. It was a win all around.




No comments:
Post a Comment