Friday, June 21, 2019

My Budding Activist

Don and I make no effort to hide our disgust with the activities of the current Administration. We think it's important that Sarah knows about some of the things going on and how wrong they are. We were pleased to learn that her teacher organized a bike ride to New York City over their school vacation to raise money for a local nonprofit that supports immigrants.

Sarah was sad and angry to learn about the families being separated at the Mexico border. She chose to write about the issue for her persuasive essay assignment and decided to learn even more for her final project. She wrote letters to her Senators and Congressman and talked with the director of a local organization that helps migrants.


Last week, her class had a "Publication Party" and took turns reading their favorite pieces of writing to groups of parents. Sarah read her essay.


I'm so proud of her for choosing a complicated, but important, issue to work on. I hope she continues to speak out for what's right throughout her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment