Friday, October 11, 2013

Quick Trip to Verm*nt

We took an overnight trip to northern Verm*nt last weekend.  The foliage was at its peak, and Don wanted to scout some state parks on Lake Ch*mplain for fishing next year, so he packed up the camping gear and some food, Sarah and I packed some clothes, and we were off.

The drive was dazzling.  There's really no way for an amateur to capture the vibrancy of the colors with a camera (especially at 65 MPH), but I tried anyway.  The hillsides were dappled with reds, oranges, yellows, and, where a few conifers joined in the fun, dark greens.  I feel so lucky to enjoy the festivity of fall in New Engl*nd this year.

It was about 3 1/2 hours to B*rlington, VT, which is on Lake Ch*mplain.  We continued north, almost to C*nada, and stopped to visit our friends Mark and Chris, who have a beautiful house right on the lake.  I worked for Mark years ago in M*ine, and we haven't seen them since before Sarah came home, so it was fun to catch up (and indulge in the yummy apple pie Chris baked).

Late in the afternoon, we drove over to Gr*nd Isle State Park to camp for the night.  We brought Don's big canvas tent this time, so there was plenty of room for the three of us, plus Sarah's two stuffed dogs.  Sarah and I walked to the beach while Don made dinner.  A campfire, s'mores, and off to bed.  The starry night sky was as impressive as the foliage.

 
V*rmont has some of the prettiest rest areas I've seen.

Sarah and a colorful catamount
 
Lake Ch*mplain from K*mp K*ll K*re State Park
 
 
Helping Dad set up the big tent
 
Getting her bed set
 
Putting Big Dog and Vava to bed

On the beach at Gr*nd Isle State Park


Campfire silliness
 


 
Don and Sarah enjoying their morning drinks of choice (coffee for him, warm milk for her)

Sarah drawing while waiting for breakfast (I couldn't help but envision a young R*chel Carson)

No comments:

Post a Comment